Monday, January 21, 2008

Don´t worry...we´re alive!







Oh, brother! I am so sorry for not writing! I have no good excuse, other than I haven´t made time! Today I´m out on a windowshopping day without kids, so I decided to take advantage of the opportunity! We´re doing well, getting ready to come home in about three weeks, but at the same time not able to imagine leaving all the family and friends here. I spent last week with the kids at Neto´s Mom´s house, it was great, the kids had a blast with their cousins nextdoor and going to the beach to play. I actually got some of my book read and more of my sweater knit, one sleeve to go and it´s finished! Of course it it always wierd to think that it´s the middle of January and about 95 degrees out, sleeping with a fan all night long! One odd thing is that there has been a series of incidents involving people stealing the copper electric wires that bring electricity to the town, first two days before New Year´s (I was also there with Anna). It was fixed just before Neto arrive with Eric, at about 6pm on New Year´s Eve! Then, when we were there last week two more sections of copper wires were stolen, leaving us without power overnight a couple times (I hate to be a weanie, but it´s awful to sleep in a hot room without a fan, and sleeping outside with the mosquitoes is not an option!) Rumor has it that they were guys from the power company who were upset they didn´t get their Christmas bonuses. Anna´s reaction was cute when she thought that the lights went away (in Spanish you say literally ¨the lights left¨) because they had feet. Being without power is not that big of a deal, as all stoves are gas-powered and there is usually fresh fish daily to eat, but the only danger in not having power for days on end is that the town water pump that gets turned on everyother day doesn´t work without power. We ended up hourding water and re-using the dish water to flush toilets, etc. Adventures in remote Mexico...

The kids are doing well, I´ll attatch a few pictures, (Eric watching Abuelita make the traditional hard corn ¨totopos¨) Eric says he doesn´t want to go home, he wants to stay with his friends here at Hogar, but at the same time he wasn´t too hip to the idea of staying on as a student there while we went home. haha. Anna says she will go home to see Grandma and Grandpa and Teddy (our nextdoor friends´cat) but is having a great time here, too. Maybe this is their first lesson in having their hearts in two places at once. I am, as usual, feeling like I want to go home to see everyone and at the same time wanting to pack up and move down here.
They have almost finished the fence around our property in Neto´s village - the doors should be delivered this week, then Neto´s family can use the space for growing vegetables to sell. (see photos...one is taken from the porch of our littel house, the other is of the house itself) We decided to fix up the tiny one-room house that is there (we spent everything on the fence, so we haven´´t started roofing the place or anything yet), making an outside kitchen and fixing the outhouse, so we can at least rent it out while we´re gone and have a place to go when we visit. Over the next few years we´ll probably start building a real house next to it and eventually use the little one-room as a guest house or family room. Neto´s Mom and I cleaned it up inside a little and killed two scorpions. I had seen one when I picked up a piece of metal sheeting, and when she and I later picked it up together, a lizard ran out towards us. Of course I thought it was the scorpion and we both started screaming before we realized it was just the lizard. It was a good laugh anyway!

Well, I´m going to go and hope to write again before we go...hope you all are doing well and please forgive me for not writing more! Take care -

Love, Katie

No comments: